Idaho Candy Company began as a dream for T.O. Smith in his home in 1901. Mr. Smith had been a journeyman candy maker in Chicago, IL and Salt Lake City, UT before he moved to Boise, ID to help build the Dewey Palace Hotel in Nampa, ID. After finishing the hotel he found himself out of work and started making candy and selling it door to door out of shoe boxes. Soon after starting T.O. had seventeen candy makers making candy in a small frame shop in the vicinity of 8th & Fort Street in Boise supplying the sweet tooths in Idaho.
In 1909 Mr. Smith teamed up with the Adams family to build a modern factory at 412 South 8th Street in Boise to meet the growing needs of his customers. The Adams were either part owners or owners of Idaho Candy Company until 1969, when it was purchased by Don Wakeman, the son of the former plant manager. The new 1909 factory was touted as the most modern building in Boise at the time. The factory included sky lights and a "welfare" or break room for the employees. This is the same 23,000 sq ft factory that we make our candies in today, even using some of the equipment originally used in the early 1900s.
In this factory Idaho Candy Company produced over 50 different candy bars over the years and many varieties of boxed chocolates. Some of the bar names included: Chicken Dinner Bar, Brazil Cremes, Mint Patty, Big Chief, Quarter Section, Fox Trot and many others. Three of those candy bars are still in production: Idaho Spud Bar (1918), Old Faithful Bar (1925) and the Cherry Cocktail Bar (1926) and one new candy bar Huckleberry Gems (2012). Our factory also produces 3 varieties of Owyhee Butter Toffee (1925), available in original chunk style, bite sized and chocolate covered. We also make about 12 different kinds of tub, bag and bulk candies all in the same "modern" factory at 412 S. 8th Street in Boise, ID.